Knit Camp at The Coast 2023
3-Day VIP All-Access Pass
Thursday, Sept. 14th – Saturday, September 16th, 2023
Join us for our fourth annual Knit Camp virtual retreat! The 3-Day All Access VIP pass gets you ALL the good stuff Thursday through Saturday, AND an optional exclusive swag box delivered to your door before the retreat. (This year you can sign up for the VIP option with or without swag.)
Not sure if you can attend live? All events and classes will be recorded and you’ll have access for 45 days so you can catch the ones you miss.
If you miss having the chance to connect with other knitters, need inspiration to brighten your life, love learning and laughing with friends, and get excited when you see a special mail delivery filled with yarn-y goodness on your doorstep (if you choose the swag option), the VIP 3-Day All-Access Pass is for you!
Read all the juicy details about the workshops below.
Save the Date!
Thursday, September 14th through Saturday, September 16th
Knit Camp at The Coast is unlike anything you’ve experienced online. We have virtual classes by industry experts, an exclusive retreat pattern, recipes, cocktail hour, special guest interviews, more classes, a virtual taco party, coffee chats and special yarn-y discounts in our very own (tiny) retreat marketplace.
Every Member of Knit Camp receives a One-Day Friday Pass to attend all classes/activities on Friday, September 15th. (Included free with your membership – a $199 value.) But if you’d like even more….
Grab the VIP 3-Day All-Access Pass!
If you register for the 3-Day VIP All-Access Pass, you will gain access to all events, classes and activities Thursday through Saturday, and you can opt-in for our awesome retreat SWAG BOX delivered right to your door before the retreat begins. The swag box is a $150 value and includes retreat exclusives you won’t find anywhere else.
VIP SPACE IS LIMITED
VIP 3-Day All-Access Pass Itinerary
Please note that all times are provided in Pacific Time Zone (Los Angeles). All events are recorded and can be accessed for replay for 45 days following the retreat.
Thursday, September 14th: (3-Day VIP Pass Only)
- 2 PM (Pacific) RETREAT KICK-OFF Retreat welcome – meet your fellow attendees!
- 3-4:30 PM CLASS: Pool Party with Keith Leonard – Color pooling is SO MUCH FUN! In this class, we will learn both assigned and planned pooling. Pooling is when the colors in the skein of yarn stay together throughout the knitting process. It’s fun, easy, and addictive. Watch your hand-dyed yarns come alive in a whole new way. Yarn included in VIP swag box!
- PAJAMAS & COCKTAILS – Grab your jammies and your favorite sips and we’ll get this party started together! (On Zoom)
Friday, September 15th: (All Knit Camp Members)
- 8 AM (Pacific) Morning Coffee Kick-Off with our host, Marie Greene, on Zoom
- 9-10:30 AM CLASS: Crossing the “Finish” Line with Marie Greene – If project finishing has you in knots, Marie will demystify the art of finishing ANY project with her mind-blowing tricks for professional results. No more weird armpits, goofy gaps, wonky edges or haphazard transitions. You may be familiar with Marie’s best selling finishing class, Pick Up Artist – but this is a whole new set of tips, tricks and techniques that you can add to your growing library of finishing skills. These tricks are not just for sweater knitters – they’re for sock knitters, shawl knitters and hat knitters, too! You’ll leave this workshop with a whole new set of finishing skills for your knitting toolbox!
- 10:30-11:30 SPECIAL GUEST – Meet World Renowned Teacher & Designer, Patty Lyons
- 11:30-12:30 – Lunch AND Virtual Shopping Hour with Our Sponsor, Makers’ Mercantile! Feast your eyes on what’s new and grab supplies for your next project!
- 12:30-2 CLASS: Make it Your Own with Sarah Keller – In this class, Sarah will guide you through everything you need to know to successfully take a basic pattern and make it your own! Using pattern templates for a basic hat and cowl, we’ll talk about gauge, different stitch patterns, substituting stitch patterns, and charting your own designs. You’ll come away with the confidence to take a pattern and Make It Your Own! The class will include a handout with the pattern for your hat and cowl, as well as several different stitch pattern options, and references for how to find stitch pattern resources.
- 2-3:30 PM CLASS: Be a Bead Boss: Taming the Elusive Seed Beed with Kyle Kunnecke – Tiny and mighty, the elusive seed bead can be easily trained to stand, lay down, and even play hide-and-seek in knitted fabric. In this workshop we will explore different ways beads can be added to knitting, and discover how to get the beads to stay where we want them once the project is completed. At the end of our adventure, you will have the knowledge, skills, and resources to successfully incorporate beads into your projects. Beads included in VIP Swag box!
- 4-5 PM: VIRTUAL TACO PARTY & Friday Wrap-up: How was your retreat day? Let’s TACO-bout it! Join us on Zoom for an end-of-day fiesta as we toast with our tacos (our Retreat Recipe Booklet will give you oodles of ideas – gluten-free, vegetarian, carnivore and more!)
Saturday, September 16th: (3-Day VIP Pass Only)
- 8 AM (Pacific) Morning Coffee Kick-Off with our host, Marie Greene, on Zoom
- 9-10:30 CLASS: Believe You Can Weave with Shannon Squire – Learn to use a versatile and very portable little loom to make bookmarks, bracelets, and anything else your crafty brain can think up! The workshop will go over warping, weaving, taking your piece off of the loom, and best practices for weaving on a little loom. Mini loom supplies included in VIP Swag Box!
- 11-1 CLASS: OVER IT! Bringing New Life to Old Yarn with Christine Long-Derks (Treasure Goddess Yarn) – Do you have a few skeins in your stash that are no longer bringing you joy when you see them? Or did you get a skein in a fiber swap or from a well-meaning family member with colors that make you cringe? We can fix that! Join Christine from Treasure Goddess and learn how to overdye your yarn using food safe dyes and materials found in your kitchen. We will learn three different dye techniques and when to use each of them for best results. Let’s change that skein from hideous to happy!
- 1-2 Lunch Break
- 2-3:30 PM CLASS: Crimes Against Knitting with Marie Greene – Put on your detective hat and let’s unravel the mysteries of when knitting goes wrong – AND what to do about it. We’ll learn how to fix moth holes, survive a yarn chicken loss, deal with dye lot issues and MORE! If you love having ALL the cool tricks in your knitting toolbox, you will love this workshop!
- 3:30-4:30 PM SPECIAL GUEST: Meet Gaye Glasspie (GG Made it!) – Meet the wise, warm-hearted and one of a kind, GG, as she shares her knitting journey and how knitting can save us in hard times.
- 4:30 PM VIP Finale & Cocktail/Mocktail Party! Pour yourself something tasty and join us for a final hour of laughs and retreat recaps on Zoom!
Registrants will receive homework and supply details via email ahead of the event.
Swag Box Details:
This year’s swag boxes will include many of the items students will need for their classes, including:
- 1 full skein hand dyed yarn + 1 mini skein from Yarn Snobs dyed especially for Pool Party with Keith Leonard
- Beads for Be a Bead Boss with Kyle Kunnecke
- Mini loom kit for Believe You Can Weave with Shannon Squire
- Circular needles from our friends at Skacel
- Retreat 2023 badge
- Plus! Swag boxes will include samples, treats, and several exclusive retreat items that won’t be available separately.
Swag will ship the last week of August via USPS Priority Mail (or International First Class).
Meet Our Retreat Instructors & Guests
Keith Leonard began his knitting journey when he joined a lunch time knitting program in elementary school. Once the knitting bug bit, the itch never went away. After graduating from college, he started a knitwear finishing business called Knits All Done, completing hundreds of finishing projects for clients all over the United States. His finishing expertise organically transitioned into teaching knitting classes, and he has taught his skills to thousands of knitters throughout the country. In 2019 Keith started his own yarn line, yarnsnobyarns.com, and he currently spends his days producing astonishingly vibrant skeins to put in the hands of knitters.
PATTY LYONS is a nationally recognized knitting teacher and technique expert who is known for teaching the “why” not just the “how” in her pursuit of training the “mindful knitter”. She specializes in sweater design and sharing her love of the much-maligned subjects of gauge and blocking.
Patty teaches nationally at guilds, shops, and knitting shows around the country as well as hosting her own retreats. Her popular classes can also be found on DVD and online on her education site.
Patty designs and knitting skill articles have been published in Vogue Knitting, Interweave Knits, Knit Purl, Knitter’s Magazine, Cast On, Knit Style, Creative Knitting, and Twist Collective. Patty also is a regular contributor to Modern Daily Knitting where she writes a knitter’s advice column: “Ask Patty.” Patty’s designs have also been included in pattern collections from Classic Elite, Noro, Cascade, Tahki Stacy Charles, Sugar Bush and Willow Yarns.
Patty has been a repeat guest on PBS’s Knitting Daily TV and featured as subject-matter expert in publications including the Wall Street Journal. She’s even made a nemesis (all in good fun) out of popular late night host, Seth Meyers—of Late Night with Seth Meyers—on whose popular “Corrections” web series she’s appeared.
Gaye Glasspie (GG Made It)
Christine Long-Derks (Treasure Goddess Yarn)
Christine Long-Derks is the head Yarn Pirate and owner of Treasure Goddess Yarn. She dyes intense, saturated tonal colors on luxury yarn bases that take your breath away. Treasure Goddess yarns all have pirate or ocean themed colorway names like Ghost Ship, Copper Cove and Lusty Wench and the logo is a pirate sheep. Christine’s passion is creating yarn that lets you enjoy the process of creating as much as you love your finished items. (She’s an unabashed yarn snob and only dyes the yarn she loves to work with herself.)
Christine dyes yarn in the country in a big red barn, which she opens up twice a year for big Yarn Parties. Knitters, crocheters, weavers and spinners come together to spend the day making new fiber friends, eating, drinking, enjoying the chickens and ducks wander about as well as all the YARRRRNNNN!
Christine teaches workshops on dyeing, spinning, knitting as well as teaching Etsy sellers simple steps to increase their sales. Treasure Goddess Yarn Pirate friends get the best discounts, early access to sales and more!
Sign up to be a Yarn Pirate here.