Loosely inspired by the tradition of Bohus knitting, Boathouse is a graphic, minimalist foray into simple colorwork. Knit top-down, in the round, and with raglan shaping, Boathouse is a classic pullover with eye-catching details in tonal colors. Like the Bohus tradition that inspired it, this sweater features stockinette stitch with strategic purls to enhance the color changes.
For the baby/child version, see Boathouse Jr Sweater here.
For the matching hats, see Tugboat Beanie and Boathouse Beanie here.
Size (based on 20 st per 4 in/10 cm)
30 (34, 36, 38, 40, 44, 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60) in / 76 (86, 91.5, 96.5, 101.5, 112, 117, 127, 132, 137, 142, 147, 152) cm
20-22 st and 26-30 rows in 4 in/10 cm (See finished measurements for results at each gauge)
Sizing & Measurement Tip
To choose your size, first knit a gauge swatch with the recommended needle size and yarn weight. Block your swatch, then measure your gauge over 4 in/10 cm. Next, measure around your full bust and choose the size that is approximately 2-4 in/5-10 cm larger than your bust measurement in order to have a finished sweater with approximately 2-4 in/5-10 cm positive ease. If necessary, adjust your needle size to get gauge.
Harrisville Flywheel |100% Pure Virgin Wool | 170 yards in 50g
- Main Color: 1020 (1081, 1146, 1215, 1288, 1365, 1447, 1534, 1595, 1659, 1725, 1794, 1866) yards/ 932 (988, 1048, 1110, 1177, 1248, 1323, 1402, 1458, 1516, 1577, 1640, 1706) meters. (Sample main color is Birch Bark)
- Contrast Colors: You will need approximately 25g (or between 50-80 yards) of 6 contrast colors. I recommend choosing colors in tonal pairs. For example: If your main color is a light shade, you might choose the following pairs: dark blue/medium blue, dark red/coral, dark grey/medium grey.
- US Size 3-5 (3.25 – 3.75mm) circular needles (24 in/60 cm) – upper yoke*
- US Size 3-5 (3.25 – 3.75mm) circular needles (32-40 in/80-100 cm) – body*
- US Size 3-5 (3.25 – 3.75mm) circular needles (12 in/30 cm), DPNs or Magic Loop – sleeves*
- US Size 2/2.75mm circular needles (16 in/40 cm) – neckline*
- US Size 2/2.75mm circular needles (12 in/30 cm) or DPNs – sleeve cuffs*
*Note: Adjust needle size as necessary to obtain correct gauge – due to your knitting style and/or yarn choice, you may need to use a larger needle. You will generally be able to get gauge on a US needle size 3, 4 or 5 (but if you need to go higher, that’s fine, too). Whichever needle size you choose, stay consistent with that needle size for the body and sleeves.
- Stitch markers
- Coloring pencils and graph paper to test your color ideas
- Darning needle to weave in ends
- Blocking pins, blocking mat