I can’t tell you how many beanies I’ve knit for my three sons over the years, but they have approximately one full beanie left between them (and it’s worse for wear, let me tell you). I suspect those long-lost caps are in cahoots with our missing socks; maybe they were all snatched by the same phantom who tracked mud into the hallway (which, I’ve been assured, is no one that lives here). Thank goodness hats are quick to knit and Playdate has just a little pop of interest to make it easy to personalize without being fussy. I love the detail of the contrast color – it reminds me of a paper chain counting down the days to summer break.
For the grown-up sweater, see Happy Hour here.
For the baby/child sweater, see Playdate Sweater here.
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
SIZES: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Sm, Adult Lg) referred to as sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) throughout pattern
YARN: DK weight | HiKoo Kenzie | 50% New Zealand Merino, 25% Nylon, 10% Angora, 10% Alpaca, 5% Silk Noils| 160 yards/146 meters in 50 g
- MC: (Blue) 125 (144, 165, 190, 219, 251) yards114 (131, 151, 174, 200, 230) meters
- CC: (Grey) 19 (22, 25, 29, 33, 38) yards17 (20, 23, 26, 30, 34) meters**Double this yardage if you want enough to make a pompom
Note: Yardage is an estimate and may vary based on your gauge (especially row gauge) and yarn choice. If in doubt, please round up.
GAUGE: 22 st and 28 rows in 4 in/10 cm in stockinette stitch with largest needle, blocked
Note: Use both yarn colors in your swatch – and wet block it before you begin – to check for possible color transfer.
- US Size 5/3.75mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – body of hat
- US Size 5/3.75mm DPNs – to close crown
- US Size 4/3.5mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – ribbing
Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.
- Head circumference:8.75 (14.5, 16, 19, 20.25, 21.75) in/21.75 (36.25, 40, 47.25, 51, 54.5) cm
- Brim to crown: 4.9 (7.3, 8.3, 9.5, 10.8, 11.8) in/12.3 (18.4, 20.9, 23.65, 26.9, 29.4) cm