This pattern is featured in the book Knit a Little by Marie Greene.
Simple ribbing holds its own in this watch-cap-style beanie for the whole family. Designed as a partner for the Pocket Watch Sweater (which is also a quick knit), you can whip up a matching cap in just a day or two. This project requires very little concentration, so it’s perfect for social knitting or knitting-on-the-go.
The simplicity of the stitch detail paves the way for extra creativity in your choice of yarn.
For the baby/child sweater, see Pocket Watch Cardigan here.
For the adult sweater, see First Watch here.
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
SIZES: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Sm, Adult Lg) referred to as sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) throughout pattern
YARN: Chunky weight | The Hook Nook Yummy | 80% acrylic, 20% wool | 185 yards/169 meters in 100 g | 95 (105, 120, 140, 160, 180) yards/ 87 (96, 110, 128, 146, 165) meters
Note: Yardage is an estimate and may vary based on your gauge (especially row gauge) and yarn choice. If in doubt, please round up.
- US Size 5/3.75mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – body of hat
- US Size 5/3.75mm DPNs – to close crown
Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.
GAUGE: 18 st and 24 rows in 4 in/10 cm in rib pattern, blocked
- Darning needle
- Stitch marker
- Blocking pins, blocking mat
- Head circumference: 8.9 (14.2, 16, 17.8, 20.4, 22.2) in/ 22.2 (35.6, 40, 44.4, 51.1, 55.6) cm
- Brim to crown (with brim unfolded): 6.2 (7.2, 8.8, 9.3, 10.3, 11.3) in/ 15.5 (18, 22, 23.25, 25.75, 28.25) cm
You can adjust the length to your preference by folding the brim.