This pattern is featured in the book Knit a Little by Marie Greene.
Simplicity shines in this smart little beanie. The slipped stitch detail is rhythmic and easy to knit – you’ll zip through the tracks in no time. Yarns with dramatic contrast really show off the detail, but you can aim for a softer look with pastels, if you prefer. Customize the colors to suit your favorite person.
For the grown-up sweater, see Soundtrack here.
For the child/baby sweater, see Soundbite Sweater here.
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
SIZES: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Sm, Adult Lg) referred to as sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) throughout pattern
YARN: Worsted weight | Ewe Ewe Yarns Wooly Worsted | 100% superwash fine merino wool | 95 yards/86 meters in 50 g
- MC: (Blue) 99 (114, 131, 151, 173, 199) yards 90 (104, 120, 138, 158, 182) meters
- CC: (White) 25 (29, 33, 38, 43, 49) yards 23 (27, 30, 35, 39, 45) meters*
*Double this yardage if you want enough to make a pompom with your CC
Note: Yardage is an estimate and may vary based on your gauge (especially row gauge) and yarn choice. If in doubt, please round up.
- US Size 6/4mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – body of hat
- US Size 6/4mm DPNs – to close crown
- US Size 4/3.5mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – ribbing
Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.
GAUGE: 20 st and 26 rows in 4 in/10 cm in stockinette stitch with largest needle, blocked
Note: Use both yarn colors in your swatch – and wet block it before you begin – to check for possible color transfer.
- Darning needle to weave in ends
- Stitch marker
- Blocking pins, blocking mat
- Head circumference: 9.6 (14.4, 18, 19.2, 20.4, 22.8) in/24 (36, 45, 48, 51, 57) cm
- Brim to crown: 6.5 (7.5, 8, 8, 8.5, 9.5) in/16.25 (18.75, 20, 20, 21.25, 23.75) cm
Pattern errata for Soundbite Beanie can be found here.