If I could only choose one stitch to knit for the rest of my life, it would be cables. Okay, maybe that’s not entirely true. My first choice would be stockinette stitch for its versatility, but cables are a very close second. Cables are warm, cozy and gorgeous – what’s not to love? The details in this pattern look extra impressive, but they’re brilliantly simple to knit. Richly cabled with a close fit and folded brim, The Gansey Beanie will keep your interest without a lot of extra focus.
For the baby/child sweater, see Little Gansey Sweater here.
For the adult sweater, see January Gansey here.
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
SIZES: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Sm, Adult Lg) referred to as sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) throughout pattern
YARN: Worsted weight | Malabrigo Rios | 100% superwash merino wool | 210 yards/192 meters in 100 g | 105 (120, 136, 156, 177, 202) yards/96 (110, 124, 143, 162, 185) meters
Note: Yardage is an estimate and may vary based on your gauge (especially row gauge) and yarn choice. If in doubt, please round up.
- US Size 6/4mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – body of hat
- US Size 6/4mm DPNs – to close crown
- US Size 5/3.75mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – ribbing
Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.
- Head circumference: 10 (14, 16, 18, 20, 22) in/ 25 (35, 40, 45, 50, 55) cm
- Brim (folded) to crown: 4.75 (6, 7, 7, 7.5, 8) in/ 11.75 (15, 17.5, 17.5, 18.75, 20) cm