This pattern is featured in the book Knit a Little by Marie Greene.
Designed as a partner for its namesake pullover, this sweet little hat makes a splash of its own. The Waterfall Beanie is worked in the round as a tube (without crown shaping) and features a center lace panel and a charming picot bind-off. The real magic happens with the braided drawstring (although ribbon or i-cord would work just as well) to close the top and bring it all together.
For the baby/child sweater, see Waterfall Sweater.
For the grown-up sweater, see Stillwater and the Waterfall Tee here.
SIZES: Preemie (Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult Sm, Adult Lg) referred to as sizes 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6) throughout pattern
YARN: Worsted weight | Malabrigo Rios | 100% superwash merino | 210 yards/192 meters in 100 g | 170 (180, 190, 200, 210, 210) yards/155 (165, 174, 183, 192, 192) meters
Note: Yardage is an estimate and may vary based on your gauge (especially row gauge) and yarn choice. If in doubt, please round up.
- US Size 6/4mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – body of hat
- US Size 5/3.75mm (12-16 in/30-40 cm) circular needle – ribbing
Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.
GAUGE: 20 st and 26 rows in 4 in/10 cm in stockinette stitch with largest needle, blocked
- Darning needle
- Stitch marker
- Blocking pins, blocking mat
- Head circumference: 11.2 (15.2, 17.6, 20, 22.4, 24) in/ 28 (38, 44, 50, 56, 60) cm
- From folded brim to picot ruffle: 5.25 (6.5, 7.75, 8.5, 10, 11) in/ 12.8 (16.5, 19.4, 21.25, 25, 27.5) cm